School Vision and Misson
The Pittsfield School District is a school community in which all decisions are based on the best interests of our learners, supported by a learning environment that enables all of Pittsfield’s young people to be fully engaged in their own learning, pursue their college and career aspirations, and be strongly supported to realize their dreams.
The mission of the Pittsfield School District is to ensure that our learners are supported in the achievement of their college and career goals through student centered learning practices and strong partnerships with our community. We encourage and guide our students to become self-directed, lifelong learners who demonstrate a high level of knowledge, skills, and social-emotional health through self-advocacy, self-governance, and commitment to community.
In support of our vision and mission, we value:
1. A Student Centered Environment
- Students believe and demonstrate that they have voice and choices in their education;
- Students are treated respectfully as unique individuals by all members of the school community;
- Students are provided with an environment that is safe and promotes their ability to learn and grow, both as individuals and as members of a larger society;
- All decisions are based on what is in the best interests of our students.
2. Student Ownership for Learning
- Students take responsibility for and ownership of their own learning;
- Students are assisted to become self-directed and accountable for their own learning and personal development;
- Students are provided with the opportunity to exercise their voice in all aspects of decision-making regarding their learning and their school.
3. Personalized Learning
- Academic, cultural, and socio-economic diversity is respected;
- Learning styles of students guide instruction;
- Students are provided with the opportunity to choose and structure the learning path that best suits them;
- Students design performance assessments based on competencies;
- Personalization is supported through a range of practices, including student-led conferences, personalized learning plans, extended learning opportunities, student advisories, and inquiry learning.
- Students are supported in reaching their full potential through high expectations;
- Students and teachers collaborate to develop rigorous projects and assessment rubrics;
- Students and teachers are encouraged and inspired to reach their full potential through a school culture of high rigor.
5. Teachers as Facilitators
- Teachers serve students more as coaches of learning rather than distributors of direct instruction;
- Teachers employ anytime, anywhere learning opportunities to the greatest extent possible;
- Teachers utilize team and inquiry learning practices.
6. High Achievement
- High standards are established and maintained;
- Students are provided with multiple learning opportunities to attain high levels of achievement;
- Learning activities promote deep understanding rather than superficial knowing;
- Learning activities focus on facilitation of learning and the personal development of students to become successful 21st Century learners.
7. Post-Secondary Readiness
- By senior year, students demonstrate mastery of the district’s core curriculum;
- Students have access to resources, support, and services to help them prepare to meet post-secondary goals;
- Graduating seniors develop realistic and ambitious plans for college and/or careers;
- Students report that that they are confident in their skills and abilities for post-secondary pursuits.
8. Community Engagement
- Our community is well informed about the work of the school district;
- Community members know that their voices are heard and that their opinions are valued;
- Our community understands the connection between strong schools and a strong community.
9. Personal Accountability
- Members of the school community practice active communication to improve accountability;
- Members of the school community accept responsibility for their own actions; we acknowledge both shortcomings and successes.
The Pittsfield School District commits to the following principles and practices in support of our values, vision, and mission:
- Creating an environment that supports the development of meaningful voice and choice for every student;
- Enhancing each learner’s acquisition of knowledge and skills through learning that occurs anytime and anywhere;
- Building motivation for learning through the establishment of strong partnerships;
- Developing schools that demonstrate supportive relationships, academic relevance, and rigor through strong and mutually beneficial ties with the entire community;
- Fulfilling post-secondary aspirations through high standards, high expectations, and high achievement, and
- Expecting learners to demonstrate mastery of knowledge and skills through authentic assessment.
Adopted: January 10, 2013